Thursday, February 26, 2009

Stevie's a musical genius!


We've all heard that before and I will tell you no differently. Stevie Wonder is the most fascinatingly talented musician of the last century, with no exception. The trouble is that people say this for different reasons and I am here to set the record straight.

For years, Stevie wrote songs that made us move, that told us stories, that made us feel, and he did it with a voice that was not too perfect, but as sublimely real as anyone could. Now, it seems that black people have been a little more exposed to his repertoire than whites. I only say this because everytime a the topic of Stevie comes up in conversation, some white chick pulls a "I Just Called to say I Love you" out their ass! Hey, I'm not saying you can't LIKE the song! Shit, if I had written it, I'd still be talking about it. But to define the man, his music, or career by that song, is to give a back-handed bitch-slap to the art he creates!

Now, nobody's worried about Stevie getting his due. He gets plenty, but it should not have anything to do with the condition of his eyesight, or the fact that a couple of his lamest tunes have been so commercialized.

This is not a tribute to Stevie Wonder per se. It is a plea to music lovers who have not explored his music, to do yourselves a favour and listen to at least a portion of a staggering body of work while he is still alive.

Ray Charles exploded posthumously due to a hit movie and a 'Duets' album, and Stevie will leave as large a footprint as Ray, Bob Marley and Elvis put together! (As great as Elvis was, white people that argue that he was the greatest talent of all time, have clearly lost their mother-@#$%&* minds if they think he compares to any of these 3.) Rather than argue whether Fonzie could beat up Batman, I have decided to break it down to help people make an easy transition into Stevie's music. You may decide for yourselves:

1. Flat-out Funky, Make-you-shake-it songs:
-Uptight (Everything's Alright)
-Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Be Doo Da Day
-You Met Your Match
-We Can Work It Out
-Signed Sealed Delivered
-Boogie On Reggae Woman
-Sir Duke
-I Wish
-Master Blaster
-I Ain't Gonna Stand For It
and oh so many more, but that's a good start.

What if you want to hear some of Stevie's more political music?

2. Social Commentary
-You Haven't Done Nothing
-Living For The City
-Heaven Help Us All
-Village Ghetto land
-If It's Magic
-Higher Ground
-Love's in Need of Love Today
-They Won't Go When I Go

And if you just want to treat him like anyone else and listen to a beautifully-sung ballad, nobody does them like Stevie:

3. Love songs
-Ribbons In The Sky
-Overjoyed
-Too Shy To Say
-With Each Beat of My Heart
-My Cherie Amour
-Knocks Me Off My Feet
4.Blues Ballads Songs of regret. This brother can make you cry. Even if you're a guy!
-Never Dreamed You'd Leave in Summer
-Lately
-All In Love Is Fair
-Whereabouts
-Summer Soft

Also, if you had to buy just one album: Songs in the Key of Life
I recommend headphones, but regardless, this is a good start to get anyone interested in the diverse talents of this extraordinary man. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, lovin the Stevie - always love getting music recommendations...i have Stevie's Definitive Collection as i've never really listened to him at any great lengths, but i hate just owning compilations, as the songs at least back in the day were put together in a certain way on the original albums, some of them can loose their magic when packed together on a compilation, plus most of my favourite tracks from others are the ones which aren't usually the most popular, which never make it onto the greatest hits e.t.c albums.

    Anyway, my point is that i have just downloaded the album Songs in the Key of Life and it shall entertain me for the rest of my return train journey to london - thanks in advance!!

    As for vinyl, i am at the very beginning of my collection so any additions would be welcome and very VERY much appreciated, you just made my day!!! And kudos for actually listening to what you have, it bugs me when amazing records sit on a shelf because there's fear that if you play it you'll devalue it!!! *end of rant* :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And nothing makes me happier than introducing someone to a new experience (and be introduced to one myself). Songs In The Key of Life was originally a double album that included a 45 rpm as well. It had 4 songs on the 45, which is incredibly rare. It also came with a 30 something page book that contains some lyrics, but a lot of other stuff including a long list of collaborators that are all somebodys in music. Now, I have an extra original copy in good shape, but missing the book. It's yours if you want it and will appreciate it. I will get your address and send it to you AFTER you listen to what you have. Peace.
    P.S. Keep doing your thing on those blogs. I enjoy reading them, and believe me, that does not go equally for everyone.

    ReplyDelete